Tuesday, January 29, 2008

6 months in Sac

This is an account of my time working for a home-building organization. It is mostly for myself- to remember what I learned and did. But also for family and friends- whenever you want to see what I did today (or this week, don't want to get ahead of myself) here is where to look.
I wish I had a picture to put here.
Maybe I'll be able to get one tomorrow.

Since I've been working a week, here is a little list of what I've done so far:
-shadowed electrician for a day (long day). learned about the grounding wire, what a GFI is, what a recepticle is, how the energy goes from the telephone lines, to the house, to the "box", to every room of the house.
-"framed" around HVAC vents in ceiling for drywalling later
-what "toenailing" a nail means
-how to install towel racks (lots of them)
-how to install door knobs
-how to cut metal with a chop saw
-how to "crochet" an extension cord

on a side note
- tonight I'm feeling slighltly stranded in my new (but really nice) room. My stressed out vet student-roommates are turning out to be a little too anal and particular for my taste. Hopefully it's just midterms.
-I guess I "had" to rent Sydney White to remain in my comfort zone while going through another "life transistion". I see that I like to use "quotes" a lot.
-i am absolutely putting up with NO bullshit ("sorry Suzanne, you're going to have to get used to how we talk around here" I've heard this three times so far. They are nothing compared to guys at my last job on smoke breaks!) between roommates with pets who shouldn't live in townhouses and landlady's who are very subtley manipulative, in a mean librarian kind of way.

2 comments:

Jeans Pants said...

What a pretty color. I had no idea you liked green ;)

I think it might just be midterms. They did seem stressed. I was hoping that since they were all stressed and in their rooms a lot that meant they'd be out of your way. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

You going to have to get used to the way they talk? What does that mean? Tell them they need to get used to the way you talk.

I can't wait for you to come over my house and install some towell racks......I'm j/k =0)

Joanna said...

DUDE> don't put up with any bullshit babe...it's not worth your sanity. you are a strong woman chica...show your true colors!!!!
i love your blog, fyi...it's so cool and informative and i ESPecially like the small writing at the end when you are on the real!
love you