Tuesday, February 5, 2008

beginning of another week

This morning, our boss was out sick. Every Tuesday, we have a meeting, and this morning's was an especially good one because he was gone, and the supervisors were able to plan.

Myself and two coworkers were sent to a site to prepare it for concrete pouring.

Today, we made a "form" for the house's patio. It involved a lot of chalk-lining, staking, and leveling. I learned what a "kicker" is (one of two stakes that goes into the ground diagonally, looks like someone kicked it I guess). The form had to be running slightly downwards away from the house, I guess to keep water off the porch.

One exciting thing for me, was my first experience of reading off the blue-prints to determine where and how big to make the form. I've drafted plans before, and I've built houses before, but I've never been able to connect them both til now.

There were some dogs at the site, again. Dogs and construction go hand-in-hand. There was a little tiny one trying to hump a big rotweiller. Another thing that goes hand-in-hand is guy humor.

An ice-cream truck came by and one of my most macho supervisors got a sparkle bar, whatever that is!

And we got to leave early today, 1:30. It was a good day.

Tomorrow, the group that I worked with two years ago NCCC are coming. They'll be working with us for the next few weeks. I think that will make things a little more entertaining. At least there will probably be some other females.

1 comment:

Jeans Pants said...

Yay no boss and too bad for David. At least you got a day off from doing that.

Your writing is very good. I can picture everything you say so well.

~Justin