Friday, February 1, 2008

roofing

Right now I'm exhilarated from a day of roofing. No sarcasm here, I'm really not ever sarcastic. We were at a new site (new for me), way way North Sacramento.

There were more dogs! Two pitbull puppies in the neighbor's yard, which we could see all day from the roof. They knocked over the recycling bin and spend a lot of the day messing up their yard.

But anyways, we roofed because it wasn't raining!! A week ago I didn't mind spending the day inside, following J around, because it was raining. But now it's pretty tedious, and the outdoors stuff is more satisfying.

I had done roofing before, but not with nail guns. My coworkers seemed pretty amazed/disgusted at the thought of doing the roof by hand.

We started with the "starter," a strip of shingling material along the edge. Actually before that was the felt, black paper that goes on the first layer. We used staple guns (they had a special name but I don't remember) for that. And then the shingles went from the bottom up. They were an ugly brown. Maybe it looks better from the street. T said that two professionals could do a roof in a day, but we only did half, and there were four of us.
I think they measure the roof in 10'-square sections. Today we did 13 squares.

I know you have to be careful on a roof, which I am being, very aware of my surroundings. I think NCCC and working in the plates and glasses section of IKEA has made me cautious.

Tommorow is the end of the week for me, and I'm supposed to be back at that site.

1 comment:

Jeans Pants said...

I didn't think you were whining. I like that I can come to your site, learn about your day and also get an idea on how to build a house. I think I might go build one right now. brb =0)