Friday, February 8, 2008

two new driveways

Today went by pretty fast. I was suprised when everybody seemed to be asking me how I was feeling. Even the secretary at the office. They are a very considerate bunch of people.

I started off by "gophering" 2 dozen doughnuts and a box of coffee for M, a supervisor who buys them for everyone on Fridays (It's written in the handbook that workers are not supposed to be used as gophers or verbal punching bags, etc so they joke about it a lot).

Then, we (NCCC was there too) spent most of the morning eating/drinking doughnuts and coffee, and watching S, our concrete guy, pour from his big truck into the driveways of the two houses in the lot. I helped NCCC dig a ditch for a while. And then, as we were all sitting and watching the concrete dry, I decided to go to the office to pick up my first paycheck.

The afternoon I spent moving tools and new windows from the trucks to our tool warehouse, and vise versa.

The concrete pouring was interesting, kind of like an art. There were a lot of special tools, long, metal beams for leveling, "floaters" for smoothing. There is even a tool to make the seam in the pavement (just like in sidewalks).

The only other thing that happened today was that I gave my boss a list of workshops I will hopefully go to.
Here are a few- Are LED's Ready for Primetime? Retrospective on HVAC Retrofit Projects, Green Buildings and Climate Change, Emerging Cooling Technologies for the West, Solar Energy for Home Owners, Green Building in a Carbon Neutral Age. I'm excited!

1 comment:

Jeans Pants said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmm Donuts! It's very cool you get payed for these conferences. That's awesome actually.